Hello, it’s been a while. Happy New Year! Happy Lunar New Year to those of you who are celebrating like me. May the Year of the Ox bring you good fortune, good health, and happiness!
I’m choosing to look forward to this year. I’m hoping for a gentler, more enjoyable, and rewarding 2021.
If you’re anything like me, your to-be-read list may be heaving at this point—with the new books, olds books, and books that you did not get to in the past few months. I’m actually terrified by the sheer amount of books that are on my TBR list right now. The fact that I now read books for a living doesn’t help either because I just add more books to the never-ending list of books that I want to read. But I’m setting myself a goal this year—I’m making a list of 20 books that I want to read this year, both front- and backlist books, that I will read this year. Hopefully.
Let’s get started with backlist books. Backlist books are books that have been published before the last six months.
These are the backlist titles I want to read this year:
- Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot by Mikki Kendall
- Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- The Midnight Bargain by C.L. Polk
- Minor Feelings by Cathy Park Hong
- When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole
- Circe by Madeline Miller
- Beach Reads by Emily Henry
- World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and Other Astonishments by Aimee Nezhukumatathil
- Spoiler Alert by Olivia Dade
- Deal With The Devil by Kit Rocha
Frontlist titles are books that are published within the last six months or ones that are going to be published within the next few months. They are the newbies. And the number of frontlist titles that I want to read this year is staggering. I honestly had a hard time narrowing down this list.
These are the frontlist titles I want to read this year:
- Somebody’s Daughter by Ashley C. Ford
- Lore by Alexandra Bracken
- Raceless: In Search of Family, Identity, and the Truth About Where I belong by Georgina Lawton
- Seeing Ghosts: A Memoir by Kat Chow
- Yolk by Mary H.K. Choi
- Land of Big Numbers by Te-Ping Chen
- Act Your Age, Eve Brown by Talia Hibbert
- The Heart Principle by Helen Hoang
- Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao
- Silk by Maurene Goo and Takeshi Miyazawa
These are the 20 books that I fully intend to read this year. What are your reading goals for 2021? What books are you looking forward to reading this year? Let me know.
Thanks for reading!